Scent detection is an up-and-coming sport that’s seen a recent surge in popularity in Canada. The goal is to teach your dog to search for a particular scent, and then alert you to its location. The scent can be hidden anywhere from in one of multiple containers, to an interior room, a vehicle, or the outside of a building. This is a great way to mentally exhaust your dog, and truly learn to appreciate the unique abilities of our dogs.
The training taught in class is similar to what is used to teach working detection dogs, including bed bug dogs, border patrol dogs, conservation dogs, and drug dogs. There are also some similarities to other scent sports, such as tracking and search and rescue.
This is a fantastic way to tire out your pooch, and your dog will love it!
LIVE Virtual Sniffer Dogs Level One
Starting Monday May 17th
– 6-7pm FULL (pending completion of registrations)
See complete dates below as this class skips a holiday weekend
Including Scent Kit: $290+HST
NOT including Scent Kit: $275+HST
* It is highly recommended that you select the scent kit option unless you live in a location that prohibits you from picking up the kit from the school in Guelph. If you assemble your own kit you will be responsible for ensuring that you have ALL components in time for your first class. Contact the office for details.
A recording can be provided a missed class if you alert the office ahead of the class date. Please plan to attend all classes.
- Prerequisite behaviours, taught with positive/clicker training
- Hand Target
- Zen/basic leave it with food in hand
- Training supplies as outlined in your handouts.
- A Scent Kit, as outlined above
- If you have not attended classes at Scratch and Sniff Canine Services, please review the above prerequisite behaviours and contact the office, and view the free Orientation Webinar prior to starting class.
If you have questions, please contact the office prior to enrolment.
COVID-19 Precautions (not applicable to virtual formats)
- Masks that cover the nose/mouth and without vents are strictly mandatory when indoors and sanitizer is provided, as directed by WDG Public Health. No vented masks or bandanas.
- Small group class size and limited attendance – one handler per dog
- Frequent cleaning and disinfection of the premises
- Social/Physical Distancing in effect
Book your spot now!
Contact the office with questions before registration
- Complete the registration form below, and check your email for instructions
- To confirm your spot: upon receipt of your invoice, payment must be made within 24hrs via Email Money Transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org