The Training for Distractions Program is perfect for your dog if you:
- Have a dog who is distracted by food/toys/environment, and other dogs and people, but is friendly and is not reactive (see below)
- Want better reliability and compliance in the face of distractions
- Want your dog to make better choices without nagging her
- Want to training strategies that are applicable to all distractions
Requirements and Prerequisites:
- Dogs absolutely must be comfortable with other dogs and humans. This class is not for dogs with social difficulties including: barking, lunging, growling, stiff approaches, snarking/snapping upon greeting a dog, hard stares at dogs, etc. If this describes your dog, please see below for options.
- This class requires a consistent handler to attend all classes. Pairs of handlers are welcome, but both should come to all classes.
- Dogs must be at least 6mo and have had received all puppy vaccinations + Rabies
- Completion of a foundation program at Scratch and Sniff Canine Services OR an equivalent from another school if owners/dogs have a solid understanding of clicker training and prerequisite behaviours.
- Owners who have not trained at Scratch and Sniff Canine Services previously will be required to attend an assessment and Orientation session prior to class
- Good skill and understanding of clicker training (both dog and human), and at least an introduction of the following:
- Zen or Leave it (impulse control around food in hand)
- Sit (verbal cue or hand signal)
- Down (verbal cue or hand signal)
- Loose leash walking basics
- Hand target/touch
Does your dog have “Big Feelings”? Is she reactive, worried, or intense in her reactions? Check out our Private Training and Behaviour Consulting. If you’re unsure, contact the office to set up a free assessment.
Pricing and Schedule
7 consecutive classes, starting Wed May 30 2018, 8:30-9:30pm
This class is now full!
Book your spot now!
An assessment may be required, free of charge, to ensure this class is suitable. Contact the office with questions.