The Training for Distractions Program is perfect for your dog if you:
- Have a dog who is distracted by food/toys/environment, and other dogs and people, but is friendly and is not reactive (see below)
- Want better reliability and compliance in the face of distractions
- Want your dog to make better choices without nagging her
- Want training strategies that are applicable to all distractions
Requirements and Prerequisites:
- Dogs must be comfortable with other dogs and humans. This class is not for dogs with significant social difficulties including: barking/lunging, snarking/snapping upon greeting a dog, etc. If this describes your dog, please see below for options.
- Dogs must be up-to-date on all vaccinations as recommended by your veterinarian
- Completion of a foundation program at Scratch and Sniff Canine Services OR an equivalent from another school if owners/dogs have a solid understanding of clicker training and prerequisite behaviours.
- Owners who have not trained at Scratch and Sniff Canine Services previously may be required to attend a free assessment and Orientation Webinar session prior to class
- Experience with positive training (both dog and human), and at least an introduction of the following:
- Zen or Leave it (impulse control around food in hand)
- Sit and Down (verbal cue or hand signal)
- Stay basics
- Loose leash walking basics
- Hand target/touch
- If you have most but not all prerequisites, please contact the office to discuss
Does your dog have “Big Feelings”? Is she reactive, worried, or intense in her reactions? Check out our Private Training and Behaviour Consulting. If you’re unsure, contact the office to set up a free assessment.
- Proof of COVID-19 vaccination is required for students attending in-person group classes
- Masks that cover the nose/mouth and without vents are strictly mandatory when indoors and sanitizer is provided, as directed by WDG Public Health. No vented masks or bandanas.
- Small group class size and limited attendance – one handler per dog
- Frequent cleaning and disinfection of the premises
- Social/Physical Distancing in effect
Pricing and Schedule
* Due to similarities between COVID and common cold symptoms, if your instructor is ill with a suspected cold your program will be extended by a week.
Make-up sessions for missed classes are offered at a discounted rate of $30/half hour and must be completed the same week as the class that is missed (subject to private session policy). This is required for earlier classes and strongly suggested for later classes.
We are planning for TWO handlers per dog to be able to attend class. However be aware that this may be reduced to ONE person without notice should COVID numbers increase.
Book your spot now!
Check back later!