The Training for Distractions Program is perfect for your dog if you:
- Have a dog who is distracted by food/toys/environment, and other dogs and people, but is friendly and is not reactive (see below)
- Want better reliability and compliance in the face of distractions
- Want your dog to make better choices without nagging her
- Want training strategies that are applicable to all distractions
Requirements and Prerequisites:
- Dogs absolutely must be comfortable with other dogs and humans. This class is not for dogs with social difficulties including: barking, lunging, growling, stiff approaches, snarking/snapping upon greeting a dog, hard stares at dogs, etc. If this describes your dog, please see below for options.
- This class requires a consistent handler to attend all classes. Pairs of handlers are welcome, but both should come to all classes.
- Dogs must have had received all puppy vaccinations + Rabies
- Completion of a foundation program at Scratch and Sniff Canine Services OR an equivalent from another school if owners/dogs have a solid understanding of clicker training and prerequisite behaviours.
- Owners who have not trained at Scratch and Sniff Canine Services previously will be required to attend a free assessment and Orientation Webinar session prior to class
- Experience with positive training (both dog and human), and at least an introduction of the following:
- Zen or Leave it (impulse control around food in hand)
- Sit (verbal cue or hand signal)
- Down (verbal cue or hand signal)
- Loose leash walking basics
- Hand target/touch
Does your dog have “Big Feelings”? Is she reactive, worried, or intense in her reactions? Check out our Private Training and Behaviour Consulting. If you’re unsure, contact the office to set up a free assessment.
Pricing and Schedule
7 classes, starting Wed Oct 10 2018, 8:30-9:30pm
Oct 10, 17, 24, *Skip Oct 31!*, Nov 7, 14, 21, 28
IMPORTANT! This class will start at 37 Chapel Lane (Oct 10, 17, 24) and will relocate to the new facility at 340 Southgate Dr (Nov 7, 14, 21, 28). There will be no class on Oct 31 due to the facility move.
Make up classes: Make-up sessions are offered at a discounted rate of $30/half hour and must be completed the same week as the class that is missed (subject to private session policy) – this is required only for the first half of the program and option for the second half. This is to ensure that the class runs smoothly for all students.
Book your spot now!
An assessment may be required, free of charge, to ensure this class is suitable. Contact the office with questions.
We are currently experiencing some tech issues that may result in the class not showing as available. Contact the office – there are spaces left in class!