Scent detection is an up-and-coming sport that’s seen a recent surge in popularity in Canada. The goal is to teach your dog to search for a particular scent, and then alert you to its location. The scent can be hidden anywhere from in one of multiple containers, to an interior room, a vehicle, or the outside of a building. This is a great way to mentally exhaust your dog, and truly learn to appreciate the unique abilities of our dogs.
The training taught in class is similar to what is used to teach working detection dogs, including bed bug dogs, border patrol dogs, conservation dogs, and drug dogs. There are also some similarities to other scent sports, such as tracking and search and rescue.
This is a fantastic way to tire out your pooch, and your dog will love it!
IN-PERSON Sniffer Dogs Level One
Join the newsletter for an alert of the next time this class runs!
Six consecutive weeks
$310+HST INCLUDING Scent Kit
For in-person classes: If you need to miss a class, give advanced notice to the office and you can join the class via ZOOM from home.
- Prerequisite behaviours, taught with positive/clicker training
- Hand Target
- Zen/basic leave it with food in hand
- Training supplies as outlined in your handouts
- A Scent Kit, included in the program cost
- If you have not attended classes at Scratch and Sniff Canine Services, please review the above prerequisite behaviours and contact the office, and view the free Orientation Webinar prior to starting class.
If you have questions, please contact the office prior to enrolment.
In-Person Program COVID-19 Precautions
- Masks that cover the nose/mouth and without vents are strictly mandatory when indoors and sanitizer is provided. No vented masks or bandanas.
- Frequent cleaning and disinfection of the premises
- Social/Physical Distancing in effect
Book your spot now!
Contact the office with questions before registration
- Complete the registration form below, and check your email for instructions
- To confirm your spot: payment must be made within 24hrs via Email Money Transfer to firstname.lastname@example.org