Scratch and Sniff Canine Services offers private instruction for obedience/manners as well as fear, reactivity and aggression in Guelph, ON. Abiding by the widely accepted Humane Hierarchy, we employ the least invasive, minimally aversive positive reinforcement-based methods to resolve your dog’s behavioural problems. Service and price list is included below, private session policy is available here, registration and payment indicates acceptance of these policies.
Private session students and potential students are always encouraged to attend the Orientation/Info session at no charge!
Private Training for Behaviour Modification
These private training sessions are tailored to the requirements of the individual dog, owner and circumstance with a focus on skill-acquisition for both dog and owner. A full behaviour assessment/history will be taken from owners seeking behaviour modification sessions in order to design a complete and appropriate behaviour modification training program. Owners will learn theory and method through discussion, demonstration and hands-on work with their dog. Personalized notes, handouts and resources will be sent to the owner, and email follow-up is provided long-term following training sessions.
For dogs who:
- Have bitten or are at risk of biting a person, dog or other animal
- Show aggressive or reactive displays in response to people, dogs or other animals
- Panic when left alone/separation anxiety (bark, howl, house soil, drool, destructive chewing when alone)
- Are fearful, scared or anxious in response to people, dogs or other animals
- Are fearful, scared or anxious in response to sounds, objects, or storms
- Are protective/possessive of/aggressive around food, toys, bed, or other objects (resource guarding)
- Do not like to be touched, handled or groomed
- Have other similar issues
Private Training for Manners, Obedience and Puppies
In training sessions for obedience and manners, owners will learn the basics of how dogs learn and thus how best to teach them, and will gain a thorough understanding of the mechanics of positive reinforcement training. Not only will we address the specific issue for which the owner seeks help, we will also provide an over-arching emphasis on assimilation of knowledge – how can this owner apply the knowledge learned in the session to solve other problem or train new behaviours? All sessions will come complete with notes, handouts, videos, and email follow-up.
For dogs who:
- Ignore their owner and will not comply with requests
- Will not come or stay when asked
- Jump up to greet people
- Pull on leash when out for a walk
- Run out the front door without permission (door dashing)
- Want to chase inappropriate targets
Private training can also address any puppy issue, including nipping, teething, chewing, house training, crate training, alone training, socialization guidance, problem prevention, etc.
Private Dog Training Services and Pricing
• Initial Session 2hr session
After completion of this session, clients may choose to continue with Single Sessions or the Package of Four. This session must be used within 90 days of purchase.
• Single session 60min
After completing the Initial Session all clients are welcome to purchase Single Sessions. This session must be used within 90 days of purchase.
• Package of Four – 4hr total
$315+HST (save over 10% off regular 60min sessions)
After completing the Initial Session all clients are welcome to purchase a Package of Four at a discounted hourly rate. All four sessions must be completed within six months of payment.
• Puppy Class Add-On 60min
$70+HST (save over 20% off regular priced 60min sessions)
This session is available exclusively to current students of our Puppy Socialization Class and must be purchased and used before the official end date of your puppy program.
*Please click on the below thumbnail for an illustration of the service area. Travel fees apply to a limited distance outside of this area, please contact the office to see if your home is within travel distance (if not, you are welcome to come to the facility).
Ready to get started? Contact the office 226.486.1244 or by email