Scent Detection is an up-and-coming sport that’s seen a recent surge in popularity in Canada. The goal is to teach your dog to search for a particular scent, and then alert you to its location. The scent can be hidden anywhere from in one of multiple containers, to an interior room, a vehicle, or the outside of a building. This is a great way to mentally exhaust your dog, and truly learn to appreciate the unique abilities of our dogs.
The training taught in class is similar to what is used to teach working detection dogs, including bed bug dogs, border patrol dogs, conservation dogs, and drug dogs. There are also some similarities to other scent sports, such as tracking and search and rescue – however our focus in class will be in line with The Sporting Detection Dog Association, which is a primary trial venue in Canada. We will be using the Started Level odour of Wintergreen for these classes.
Cost includes a Scent Kit. Maximum FOUR dogs per class.
Starting Tuesday March 14, 8-9pm. Class runs for 7 consecutive weeks.
Mar 14, 21, 28, Apr 4, 11, 18, 25
Be sure that you are available for every class and complete your homework. In case of unforeseen circumstances, make-up sessions are offered at a discounted rate of $30/half hour and should be completed the same week as the class that is missed (subject to private session policy).
- Dogs must not be a risk to people or dogs, and must be comfortable in a group class environment. Dogs with minor social issues may be accepted if the class is suitable to their behavioural needs.
- Dogs must have received their complete puppy vaccinations and be a minimum of 16 weeks
- For dogs over 6 months – proof of Rabies vaccination by a veterinarian is required
- Do not attend with a dog who is sick, including vomiting, diarrhea, coughing, sneezing, lethargy or fever
- Submitting registration/payment indicates acceptance of the group class policy
Prerequisites: Dogs and owners must have basic clicker training skills as taught in the Puppy Socialization or Life Skills programs.
- Prerequisite behaviours, hand signal or verbal cue:
- Hand Target (must be well-known)
- Sit OR Down on cue
- Training supplies as outlined in your handouts. Take note that this class uses a particularly large quantity of food, so prepare appropriately.
- A Scent Kit is included in the cost of the class
- Students will be required to purchase three identical containers suitable to the size of their dog. Requirements will be reviewed at the first class.
- If you have not attended classes at Scratch and Sniff Canine Services, please review the prerequisite behaviours and contact the office to arrange for a free assessment, and attend the free Orientation